World Population Day is an annual event, observed on July 11 every year, which seeks to raise awareness of global population issues. The day was first celebrated in 1989, and it is now observed by over 100 countries around the world.
The theme for World Population Day 2023 is “8 billion: Achieving a balance between the planet and people.” This theme highlights the need to find a balance between population growth and environmental sustainability.
A Masters in Population Studies from IIPS – International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai, India like how our alumna Sreoshi is pursuing can help achieve a more equitable world in a number of ways. First, the program provides students with the knowledge and skills they need to understand the complex relationship between population and development. This knowledge can be used to develop policies and programs that promote equitable development and reduce poverty.
Second, the program teaches students how to conduct research on population-related issues. This research can be used to inform policy makers and other stakeholders about the challenges and opportunities facing the world’s population.
Third, the program provides students with the opportunity to network with other professionals working in the field of population studies. This networking can help students to find employment in organizations that are working to achieve a more equitable world.
Here are some specific examples of how a Masters in Population Studies from IIPS can help achieve a more equitable world:
- A student could work as a researcher for a government agency or non-profit organization, conducting research on the impact of population growth on poverty and inequality.
- A student could work as a policy advisor, helping to develop policies that promote equitable access to education, healthcare, and other essential services.
- A student could work as a consultant, providing advice to businesses and governments on how to manage their workforces in an increasingly demographically diverse world.
How can Catalyst help candidates aspiring for Masters in Population Studies ?
- Provide training on the concepts and theories of population studies. Catalyst’s training programs cover a wide range of topics related to population studies, including demography, population growth, migration, health, and development. This training will help candidates to develop a strong foundation in the field of population studies.
- Help candidates to prepare for the entrance exams for Masters in Population Studies. Catalyst’s training programs include mock tests and practice questions that will help candidates to prepare for the entrance exams. This will help candidates to increase their chances of being admitted to a Masters in Population Studies program.
- Provide mentorship to candidates. Catalyst’s mentors are experienced professionals who work in the field of population studies. They can provide guidance and support to candidates as they prepare for their Masters in Population Studies program. This mentorship will help candidates to make the most of their education and to achieve their career goals.
- Connect candidates with opportunities. Catalyst has a network of partners in the field of population studies. They can help candidates to find internships, fellowships, and jobs after they graduate from their Masters in Population Studies program. This will help candidates to gain practical experience and to start their careers in the field of population studies.
A Masters in Population Studies from IIPS can lead to a variety of career opportunities in the public and private sectors. Some of the most common career paths include:
- Researcher: Population researchers work in a variety of settings, including government agencies, academic institutions, and non-profit organizations. They conduct research on a wide range of population-related topics, such as fertility, mortality, migration, and health.
- Policymaker: Population policymakers work to develop and implement policies that affect population growth, distribution, and health. They may work in government agencies, international organizations, or non-profit organizations.
- Consultant: Population consultants provide advice and expertise to businesses, governments, and other organizations on population-related issues. They may work on a variety of projects, such as conducting surveys, developing training programs, or designing data collection systems.
- Teacher: Masters in Population Studies graduates can also pursue a career in teaching. They can teach population courses at colleges and universities, or they can work as trainers for government agencies or non-profit organizations.
The Masters in Population Studies program at IIPS offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers a wide range of population-related topics. Some of the course highlights include:
- Foundation courses: These courses provide students with a strong foundation in the principles of population studies. Topics covered include demography, population growth, migration, health, and development.
- Research methods: Students learn how to conduct research in population studies. They learn about data collection, data analysis, and research writing.
- Applied courses: These courses focus on the application of population studies to real-world problems. Topics covered include population policy, program evaluation, and social marketing.
- Internships: Students have the opportunity to complete internships at government agencies, international organizations, or non-profit organizations. This gives them the chance to gain practical experience in the field of population studies.
To be eligible for the Masters in Population Studies program at IIPS, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum of 55% (50% for reserved candidates) marks.
- Have passed the entrance test conducted by IIPS.
- Have a good command of English.
The selection procedure for the Masters in Population Studies program at IIPS consists of the following steps:
- Entrance test: Applicants must take an entrance test conducted by IIPS. The test covers a variety of topics, including basic mathematics, population studies, and English.
- Interview: Applicants who score well on the entrance test will be invited for an interview. The interview will assess the applicant’s suitability for the program.
- Selection: Applicants who are successful in the interview will be selected for the program.
IIPS has a good track record of campus placements, with graduates securing positions in various national and international organizations. Some examples of recruiters and organizations that have recruited from IIPS include:
- Government agencies, such as the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the National Family Health Survey, and the United Nations Population Fund
- International organizations, such as the World Bank, the United Nations Development Programme, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Non-profit organizations, such as the Population Council, the International Planned Parenthood Federation, and the Center for Global Development
The starting salaries for Masters in Population Studies graduates vary depending on the employer and the applicant’s experience. However, some graduates have reported starting salaries of up to INR 60,000 per month.
Get the Catalyst advantage!
- Personalized attention: Catalyst’s mentors work one-on-one with candidates to provide personalized attention and guidance. This ensures that candidates get the most out of their training and mentorship.
- Real-world experience: Catalyst partners with organizations in the field of population studies to provide candidates with real-world experience. This experience will help candidates to develop the skills they need to succeed in their careers.
- Network of connections: Catalyst has a network of connections in the field of population studies. This network can help candidates to find internships, fellowships, and jobs after they graduate.
If you are interested in pursuing a Masters in Population Studies, we encourage you to contact us. We can help you to achieve your goals and make a difference in the world.
About Catalyst: Since 2011, students and working professionals have been able to successfully craft a career with Bachelors and Masters programmes offered by TISS, Azim Premji University, TERI, XIM, IIT, Nirmala Niketan, NLSIU, Sciences Po, London School of Economics and Political Science, Symbiosis, IIMC, ACJ, XIC, JNU, Ambedkar University et al with capacity building training for development sector at Catalyst.
Like, Follow, Share and Subscribe with Us for Rewarding Career Opportunities in the Social Sector :
You may also be interested in :